Thursday, April 12, 2012

Framed Antique Keys


This is what I made today.  I'm not sure what to call it, but it was very simple.  I have seen variations of it in magazines, at Pottery Barn, etc, but I really wanted something monochromatic.   My house is full of dark trim so I am always looking to brighten it up.  Here's how I made it:

Supplies:

Antique keys (available at antique stores for about $3 each
4x6 frame (This is from Dollar Tree)
Spray paint
Scrapbook paper
Tacky Glue
Cardboard for painting



First, remove the backing and glass from your frame and set aside.  Put frame and keys on cardboard. 

Put several layers of paint on the frame and on both sides of the keys.  I sprayed 3 coats.



Using frame back as a template, cut out scrapbook paper.  Once the frame and keys are dry, put the scrapbook paper in the frame in front of the glass so that the paper is the outermost layer.  Using the tacky glue, put a thin layer of glue on the back side of each key and arrange as desired.  Let dry overnight and hang in an area that is not prone to moisture.  Keep away from basements and bathrooms, and this should hold up well.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment